Flashing a generator is the process of energizing the field coils of a generator to restore the voltage output. Here are the steps to flash a generator:
- Disconnect the generator from any load or power source.
- Identify the two terminals on the generator that connect to the field coils. These are usually labeled F+ and F-.
- Connect a 12-volt battery to the F+ and F- terminals. Make sure the polarity is correct.
- Use a jumper wire to briefly connect the positive terminal of the battery to the F+ terminal of the generator. Then, quickly disconnect it.
- Reconnect the generator to the load or power source.
- Start the generator and check the voltage output.
If the voltage output is still low or the generator is not working properly, it may require further diagnosis and repair by a qualified technician.